What causes global warming? Human activities? Maybe – it hasn't been proven. About 99% of studies say global warming is human-caused, and the other 1% say it simply just happens. Maybe the 1% against human-caused warming are based on some true insight that the other studies are lacking. Or, alternatively, maybe the…
The netizens of Pubpeer broke last years biggest science scandal, exposing the flaws in the acid-bath stem cell paper. Now they're under threat for commenting on the work of Dr Fazlul Sarkar. I'm delving into the complaints raised by PubPeer, to show you why this case is happening, and why it's important.
As I rapidly approach the end of my third trimester of my first pregnancy, I've been looking back and find myself amazed that we've gotten this far at all.
Today we celebrate the miracle of Jesus's birth to the Virgin Mary. Are virgin births really so uncommon that they should be celebrated for two millennia? Especially when a paper published in the British Medical Journal suggests they may be more common than we thought.
Have you experienced extreme cold ? The sensation of cold water dumped over your shoulders ? Have you felt compelled to donate to ALS ? Sufferers report additional symptoms such as Likes, Upvotes and Diggs. If you've suffered these symptoms in the past year, you may have been exposed to the " Ice Bucket Challenge".…
I recently attended a major meeting for a highly-technical, leading edge field of research. I also am employed by an HBCU. I am currently working on some speechifying for my students in the Spring, so I wanted to spitball and share a few observations.
Science-visualization wunderkind Eleanor Lutz continues to raise the bar for animated infographics with her latest creation, a hypnotizing guide to embryonic development.
Every Christmas, the British Medical Journal publishes humorous scientific papers to bring some holiday cheer to their readers. So allow me to show you what science looks like with its hair down. Here are my top ten joke scientific articles from the BMJ.
It's December, when the British Medical Journal lets its hair down and publishes some joke articles, the latest of which focuses on the gender discrepancy in the Darwin Awards. I'm going to delve into the what, how and why what this paper means.
Imagine you're a fish swimming through the dark murky depths of a tropical river, dodging piranha, river dolphins and other terrifying predators. Suddenly, your muscles cramp, leaving you in agony, frozen, floating and afraid as teeth lunge at you from the deep.
The Ebola outbreak may be raging on, but at least there is some good news on the horizon. The results from the trial of new Ebola vaccine based on the "Chimpanzee Adenovirus" have come out, and they look promising. Want to know what it all means ? Read on.
Some food for thought from Scientific American over why we should be cautious in the search for Ebola treatments.
Hi! Long time no post. Apparently, trying to finish a PhD and plan a wedding at a same time is not a good idea =P
When the Jurassic World trailer appeared, experts instantly complained about its scientific accuracy. So yesterday I visited London's Natural History Museum for a more scientific view, and what I found there will surprise you.
When the Jurassic World trailer dropped, reactions abounded across the Twitter, and none were so controversial as those espoused by Scientists. Dinosaur Nerds are going Mad over it. The surprising thing is not so much the criticism itself, but the quandary it reveals for anybody aiming to revive long extinct…
If worst comes to the worst, and our entire agricultural system breaks down, we'd probably be pretty screwed. Not so, says Michigan Tech professor Joshua Pearce. No matter how bad it gets, we'll always have Slime !
People often credit Anton van Leeuwenhoek as the father of microbiology. If this is the case, then he was a deadbeat dad, and microbiology is his bastard. This story begins with Robert Hooke, the quintessential the "also ran" of history, always coming close to the biggest discoveries of his time, but never quite…
I'm going to cut straight to the chase: Curt Schilling has no fucking clue what he's talking about. For the past 14 hours he has been sending out links to Geocities-looking websites and arguing with people about evolution on Twitter. Despite hundreds of people letting him know that he's wrong, Schilling continues to…
The Puritanical curriculum of sex education invented in America, otherwise known as Abstinence-only sex education, is still a popular curriculum in many school districts, oft those which have a heavily Christian influence. This curriculum was popular throughout school systems during much of the 20th century, and, up…